I need a structural engineer to detail and certify a modification of a garage with trusses. Here are the sketches. The idea is to put two flow-through dormer pairs in the second story of the garage, which has an existing apartment. The trusses need to be accounted for, but the sketch I saw on line seems to be a good method. I am still looking for an engineer to detail and certify the plan. Also, I am considering the alternative of one pair of shed dormers, if feasible, and, in addition, a deck in front, and a telescope pier from the garage concrete level for stability.
- Idea #1: Two sets of dormers with flat ceiling, each 10′ wide, existing knee wall extended upward.
- Idea #2: One set of 20′-24′-wide shed dormers, front and back
- Option #1: Extend floor beyond current knee walls, which I presume requires significant truss bracing
- Option #2: add front (lake-side) deck
- Option #3: add telescope pier for 11″ celestron, equatorial or alt-azimuth mount